All you need to know about frankincense essential oil
We all know Frankincense from the story of the Nativity, as one of the gifts given to the baby Jesus by the three wise men. But how much do you actually know about the essential oil?
What is its history?
Frankincense, also known as Olibanum, is believed to have been around for five thousand years. It is sourced from the resin of trees of the genus Boswellia, commonly grown in the horn of Africa, Oman and Yemen. It was an important incense used in religious ceremonies and mentioned many times in the Hebrew Bible and Talmud.
What's it good for?
The essential oil of Frankincense is obtained from the tree resin. The resulting pale liquid has a fresh, earthy aroma that can be used as an anti-inflammatory and sedative. Historically used for its therapeutic and healing properties, it's known for the powerful uplifting effects it has on the body and mind. It is:
• Great as a treatment for easing painful joints, and especially good for people who practice yoga.
• Relaxing, effective at relieving stress and reducing anxiety, helping you have a restful night's sleep.
• An excellent addition to your skincare regime; it's ideal for the treatment of oily skin and has a tightening effect helping to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and scars.
• Fantastic for strengthening your hair, preventing dandruff and making it shinier.
How to use it?
Frankincense essential oil has many uses. You can:
• Create your own skin firming serum by adding a few drops of Frankincense oil to your favourite carrier oil. Raspberry seed or rosehip oil both work well.
• Add some of the oil to your bath and let the warming aroma melt away any tension.
• Add it to a base lotion to use as a treatment for blemishes and scars.
• Ease a cough or a cold by adding a few drops to a diffuser or vaporiser and let the vapour calm your respiratory irritation.
With all these different uses, it's no wonder Frankincense was such a valued commodity in biblical times. If you're inspired by our Frankincense blog, get your essential oil here: Frankincense essential oil
Discover our complete range for yourself and join us in #discoveringbetter.
Your Naissance Team
Tags: #DiscoveringBetter #DIYBeauty #Naissance #Organic #NaturalBeauty #Lovenaturallovenaissance #beauty #organicbeauty #beautyhacks #homemadecosmetics #purebeauty #greenbeauty #cleanbeauty #crueltyfree #vegan #vegancosmetics #veganfriendly #veganlifestyle #organicseptember #organic #frankincense